CHAPTER 15 - CREATING COLLABORATIVE PARTNERSHIPS
Teams , Partnerships, and Alliances
- organizations create and use teams, partnerships, and alliances to:
· undertake new initiatives
· address both minor and major problems
· capitalize on significant opportunities
-organizations create teams, partnerships and alliances both internally with employees and externally with other organizations.
-collaboration system is to support the work of teams by facilitating the sharing and flow of information.
-core competency is an organization's key strength, a business function that it does better than any of its competitors.
-core competency strategy is organization chooses to focus specifically on its core competency and forms partnerships with other organizations to handle nonstrategic business processes.
-information partnerships occurs when two or more organizations cooperate by integrating their IT systems, thereby providing customers with the best of what each can offer.
- an IT-based set of tools that supports the work of teams by facilitating the sharing and flow of information.
- unstructured collaboration (information collaboration)
-structured collaboration (process collaboration)
Explicit and Tacit Knowledge
-explicit consists of anything that can be documented, archived, and codified, often with the help of IT.
-tacit is knowledge contained in people's head.
- provides tools to manage the creation, storage, editing, and publication of information in a collaborative environment.
-wikis is web-based tools to make it easy for users to add, remove and change online.
Workflow Management Systems
-workflow defines all the steps or business rules, from beginning to end, required for a business process.
-workflow management system is facilitates the automation and management of business processes and controls the movement of work through the business process.
-groupware is software that supports team interaction and dynamics including calendaring, scheduling and videoconferencing